What will happen once you have tenants for a rented property

Rent Payments

We aim to transfer all the monies as soon as they are ‘cleared funds’ to the Landlord. The first month’s rental is paid to us in advance before the Tenant signs their Tenancy Agreement. It will be up to the Landlord to collect any future rents from the Tenant if we are providing a ‘Let Only’ service.

If you choose the Management services of Lex Allan we will collect the rent from the tenant on your behalf. This rent is paid into your Bank Account or forwarded onto you the next working day once funds have cleared.

What happens if my tenant doesn't pay their rent?

If we are engaged as a ‘Managing’ agent we will chase all late and unpaid rents on your behalf. Due to our rigorous referencing process we are delighted to report a very low rate of arrears experienced by our landlords. For Landlords who require additional security we have our unique Directors Guarantee which provides complete peace of mind for those Landlords choosing this extra option.

Do you carry out inspections?

For ‘Managed’ houses and apartments inspecting the property is one of our most important roles. The inspection provides reassurance to the Landlord that a tenant is maintaining a property in line with the terms and conditions of The Agreement. Initially inspections will take place approximately every three months but this is generally extended once the tenants have been in residence for a while.
The inspection is entirely not about checking on the tenant but is just as much about ‘Is the Landlord looking after the tenants?’. As part of the inspection we will report on any necessary general maintenance or repairs that are required.

Who is Responsible for Maintenance and Repairs?

Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, includes implied terms of the Landlord's obligations to carry out basic repairs.

Generally, the landlord is responsible for keeping in repair:
• the structure and exterior of the property, for example, the walls, roof, foundations, drains, guttering and external pipes, windows and external doors
• basins, sinks, baths, toilets and their pipe work
• water and gas pipes, electrical wiring, water tanks, boilers, radiators, gas fires, fitted electric fires or fitted heaters.

These repairing responsibilities can't be contracted out by including special terms in the Tenancy Agreement. Also, a landlord isn't entitled to pass on the cost of any repair work to the tenant unless the repair has been brought about by the tenants actions of neglect or damage.

For tenancies that began on or after 15 January 1989, these repairing responsibilities extend to the common parts of a building too, for example, entrance halls, stairs and lifts.

Responsibilities for common parts where a tenancy began before this date are not set out in law, but landlords still have responsibilities under the Common Law.

Your tenant should bring any issues that arise to your or our attention. If we are managing the property for you we will generally arrange for repairs to be carried out on your behalf by engaging one of our qualified and proven contractors. We will monitor the works undertaken and provide you with regular updates.

Can I Increase the Rent during the tenancy?

The rent amount is defined in the Tenancy Agreement and cannot be changed during any fixed term unless it is specifically written into the contract. If the tenancy continues on a ‘periodic’ (month-by-month) basis at the end of a fixed term then the law allows a Landlord to increase the rent once in every 12 month period. A statutory notice must be issued to the tenants to increase the rent if the tenancy is ‘periodic’.

As part of our service we will provide advice to our Landlords on possible increases in rental value each time a tenancy comes around for renewal or on an annual basis if the tenancy is periodic.

How do I end the tenancy?

To regain possession of your property at the end of an Assured Shorthold Fixed Term Tenancy you must give the relevant notice to your tenants and have provided (with proof) all the relevant ‘Prescribed Information’ and other documents, as required by the Deregulation Act 2015, at the outset of the tenancy:

You will need to give at least 2 calendar months written notice using a specific statutory notice. Where we manage the property we will issue this notice for you as part of our service

This notice will not be issued automatically and if the tenant does not leave at the end of the fixed term then the tenancy will become a Statutory Periodic Tenancy. If this happens then at any time within a Statutory Periodic Tenancy you will be required to serve 2 rent periods notice to regain possession of the property.

Please Note: The tenant can vacate at the end of a Fixed Term tenancy without giving notice to the landlord, however, within a Statutory Periodic Tenancy, the tenant must give one months notice to end the tenancy and notice generally takes effect from the rent due date.

Legal Costs

Should there be at any time any need to take legal action against the Tenant for whatever reason, the Landlord will be responsible for this action plus any necessary costs incurred. For Managed property we are there to ‘hold your hand’ and assistance will be given with regards to completing court documentation and collating associated documents with reference to the Tenancy and the legal action